Retro Smiley Emoji - Sticker

So I get this idea in my head to try to recreate the feel of the original "smiley" - not rip it off or copy it, but to put my own kinda spin on it. And I'll be buggered, but I actually like the result!

And for me, that's saying something. Obviously the original has an organic - hand drawn deal going on, that I can't replicate with a mouse, still though, in overall "vibe" I think it kinda works.

The history of the Smiley Face is a bit corporate weasel however ...

The yellow smiley icon was born in 1963 in Worcester, Massachusetts, when the graphic designer Harvey Ball was approached by State Mutual Life Assurance Company to create a morale booster for employees.

Now that I think about it, the fact that some company actually even cared about its staffs morale seems by today's standards positively benevolent, (yes, I know it's about productivity - but still).

Of course, it wasn't long before the vultures swooped in, with Hallmark copyrighting the design adding the slogan "Have a happy day" - I know, the genius of it all, right?

Best not dwell on it all, I suppose.

Anyway, loads of people claim to have "invented" the Smiley face and there are trademark and copyright disputes on record - Walmart even got in on the action ... greed's weird, huh?

Then again, perhaps someone from Google or The Smiley Company will recognise my genius and hire me to create silly, pointless things?

No, I know ... sigh. The struggle is real.

Anyhoo, for what it's worth here's my creation - which is most definitely NOT a smiley face, it's an emoji sticker, (no seriously ... I can't afford lawyers).

A big bright yellow emoji sticker smiling
Not a Smiley Face


I hope you like him as much as I do, and yes - there's always room for improvement, alas however - perfection yet eludes me. Below is an image of the 'buttons' created based on the Smiley face designed by Harvey Ball.

Smiley Face Buttons
Smile - you're insured, eh?


I made a circle with a smile for a mouth on yellow paper, because it was sunshiny and bright


Ball has been quoted as saying: “I made a circle with a smile for a mouth on yellow paper, because it was sunshiny and bright.”

And as far as I'm concerned, that seems like an almost perfect motivation for doing or creating anything, right?

Take care

Comments

Trending